This is where I share my recipes for healthy snacks and meals!
HEALTHY METABOLISM BOOSTING GUMMY BEARS
Gelatin is one of the most underrated foods available to us. It is a source of bio-available anti-inflammatory amino acids such as proline and glycine. The amino acids contained within gelatin can help to counteract the inflammatory amino acids found in muscle meats such as cysteine and methionine. Just restricting or balancing these amino acids gives the exact same benefits of caloric restriction, without having to starve yourself!
I learned about this recipe through Josh Rubin of EastWestHealing. There are variations of it but I found that his was the best.
- Mix 1/2 cup Great Lakes Gelatin (orange can) with 1 cup Pristine Hydro water in bowl and wait 10-15 minutes
- Pour 1 1/2 cups sugar (I use C&H brand) into a pot on the stove
- Pour Santa Cruz organic juice over it. I like the cherry flavor but experiment with different flavors. The raspberry-lemon was pretty good. Add just enough to make the sugar like wet sand.
5. Add the bloomed gelatin to the hot liquid mixture
7. Stir well and wait about 30 minutes for all of it to dissolve. Keep on low to medium heat
8. Use droppers to transfer into molds of choice or just pour into a coconut oil lubed Pyrex and cube it up. I use these BPA-free bear molds
9. Let them sit on the counter overnight. It may be possible to expeditite the process in cooler temperatures but I just practice patience and let them sit overnight!
GUMMY BEAR FAQ:
Why do they stick together?
If they did, you messed up! Did you use orange juice? I told you to use lemon juice! That makes a huge difference. Try again!
Does it have to be the orange can of Great Lakes gelatin?
How long do they last?
The reason for adding the lemon juice is for natural citric acid which preserves them at room temperature for 2-3 days. They can be stored in cooler temperatures (like the fridge) if you want them to last longer.
Do I need to use gummy molds?
No! If you don't have kids and/or are lazy, just buy "rectangle silicone molds" and cut them up after they harden into delicious gummy slices!
PROTEIN PACKED BREAKFAST PANCAKES
With all of the psycho-drama about anti-nutrients and confusion about what we're allowed to eat, many people have gotten caught in the trap of intermittent fasting. People are so confused about what to eat that they decide to eat nothing at all! This is extremely detrimental to your adrenal, liver and thyroid health. It will lower your body temperature and pulse over time which sets you up to develop every disease because your system is weaker.
This is a recipe that works for my body. If you want to make it with sprouted flour from an heirloom grain instead of wheat, go for it. I do not buy into the gluten-free hype. Just like the sugar-free industry, entire brands are built around gluten-free and usually they taste really bad. This pancake recipe is delicious and nutritionally substantial.
This is how I make them. Serves two.
1. Find a medium-large Pyrex glass bowl and pour in 3/4 cup of King Arthur's all-purpose organic flour and 1 tbsp of Bob's Red Mill baking powder.
6. While you're making the pancakes on the stovetop, keep the oven on the lowest setting with 1-2 plates in there. This will keep the pancakes warm while you eat them and make it easier to melt the butter.